Senior Financial Accountant, Accounting Policy
Location: Lansing, MI
The Senior Financial Accountant provides support to management and other functional areas with regard to interpreting accounting and regulatory policy, specifically in relation to insurance, retirement and wealth management products and services. Assists in researching and documenting changes to Company reporting requirements. Assists in the development, documentation and maintenance of the Company’s accounting policies and procedures database on multiple accounting & reporting bases (primarily Statutory, US GAAP, IFRS).
In addition, the Senior Financial Accountant will also facilitate the Company’s compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, including coordination with external and internal auditors.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
- For Statutory, US GAAP, and IFRS accounting & reporting bases used by Jackson:
- Monitor and research new or changing accounting & reporting guidance. Assist in the development of position papers.
- Participate in the assessment of new IFRS releases on US Operations in collaboration with Group Finance and other Jackson / US Ops associates where appropriate.
- Monitor and track industry developments and trends.
- Assist in development and maintenance of an accounting policies database of position papers documenting Jackson’s position where options are available or when Jackson develops or acquires new products or assets.
- As a result of changes in accounting and regulatory policy, review existing accounting policies and procedures, recommend changes as appropriate.
- Assist in the preparation of Jackson’s response to exposure drafts, as appropriate.
- Facilitate the Company’s compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Support the strategic goals of the department and Company.
Job Requirements (Knowledge, Skills &
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required
- Possess a strong knowledge of US GAAP, IFRS and/or US statutory basis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability
to communicate with associates at all levels within and outside of the
- Strong organizational skills, project
management skills, and the ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and
establish priorities to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to meet job requirements with a positive and productive
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field required.
- Minimum 5 years of auditing or financial reporting experience
- Insurance or financial services experience preferred.
- “Big 4” auditing experience preferred.
- SOX experience preferred.
- MBA or CPA preferred.