Location: Lombard, IL
179,000 employees globally and a 160-year history. We help our customers address their environmental and sustainability challenges in energy, water and waste. That means improving our clients’ energy efficiency, better managing their water and wastewater, and recovering resources from their wastes. We do this in a safe, cost-effective and innovative manner for cities, governments, campuses, businesses, and industries.
Responsible for executing the accounting and controlling functions for the Veolia Environment North America’s Municipal portfolio of business in conjunction with management in order to provide professional financial support, expertise and guidance to internal clients including financial management, operational management and other members of M&C Finance Department. Primary emphasis and focus for this position centers on building and analyzing the financial statements of the sites. This includes comparison of reported results to budgets, forecasts, prior year trends in addition to the creation of ad-hoc analyses. Singularly important to these comparisons is consistent adherence to general accounting processes in the proper recording of assigned balance sheet components, revenue recognition practices and principles, COS matching and capital budgeting and expenditure reporting. Compliance with these practices ensures accurate and timely population of all required disclosures for internal and external reporting purposes.
1. Executes upon the general accounting structure and processes of the organization for assigned business in conjunction with the policies and directives of the M&C Finance Department.
2. Responsible for financial statement presentation including: revenue recognition principles and practices, managing revenue and expense accruals to properly reflect incurred and earned activity according to the matching principle, provisions and SG&A activity. This includes, but is not exclusive to, ensuring the integrity of balance sheets, income statements and cash flow reporting.
3. Preparation and review of the accounts receivable and allowances for contract customers.
4. Compliance with and execution of the detailed month-end closing schedule for M&C Finance under guidance provided by the Finance Director, acting as the liaison to the operational and overhead teams in terms of assisting them with their concerns to ensure compliance with deadlines and expectations for non-financial personnel.
5. Proposes changes to accounting and operational processes to enhance the automation and efficiency of the department.
6. Proposes changes to accounting and operational processes to further the aims of a strong internal control environment, which ensures the safeguarding of company assets.
7. Provides and analyzes financial and operating results of the business including review of internal and external financial reports and analyses. Appraisals include comparisons in terms of revenues, costs, profitability and liquidity in comparison to budgets, forecasts and prior year trends.
8. Provides reporting and analytical support to the business related to business development activities.
9. Contributor to the preparation of Monthly Operating Report (MOR) for assigned reporting package, bridges focusing on comparisons of working capital and profitability versus budget, forecasts and prior year results and analyzing monthly Flash reporting.
10. Participation in the formulation of budgets and forecasts for assigned business units under the direction of management, working jointly with the operational and SG&A organizations to ensure the accuracy of the output prepared.
11. Coordination and preparation of audit workpapers as required by the external
Education / Experience / Background
● Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
● Strong prior experience with the financial and accounting aspects of ERP systems (SAP
preferred), including moderate system setup and organization familiarity.
● 4+ years of experience within one or more areas of accounting or financial management
experience required, coupled with the demonstrated ability to apply financial theory,
principles and techniques.
● Candidates possessing a CPA or CMA preferred.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
● Solid working knowledge of US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley required, previous IFRS
experience a plus.
● Strong computing skills with proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of products required.
● Compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and the Company’s Code of Business
● Applies consistently company policies and procedures applicable to day-to-day assignments and displays insight into understanding the underlying purpose of the task in addition to its strict completion.
● Displays capability for innovation in the development of complex analyses demonstrating the ability to foster idea creation independently.
● Desire and commitment to participating in an active team environment, with the willingness
to assume additional roles and duties.
● Consistently meets assigned deadlines as dictated by senior management.
● Focuses on attention to detail in the creation of a quality work product and strongly displays
process-oriented thinking; evidencing solid organization and project planning skills.
● Resolves problems, discrepancies and variances, identifying opportunities for process
improvement and efficiency gains.
● Clear and effective communication with solid written, verbal, presentation and listening skills.
Veolia offers the most complete range of environmental solutions to meet the challenges of cities, governments, campuses, businesses and industries. Our network of talent and hands-on know-how is unique and unrivaled.
We help our customers address their environmental and sustainability challenges in energy, water and waste. That means improving our clients' energy efficiency, better managing their water and wastewater, and recovering resources from their wastes. We do this in a safe, cost-effective and innovative manner for more than 550 communities and more than 30,000 businesses, campuses and organizations throughout North America.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.